Tuesday, April 21, 2015

EdTech 542 week 13 & 14: Peer Review

I was surprised at how much I personally gained from reviewing my peers' projects.  I noticed 2 things:

First, I was forced to carefully read the rubric.  I normally just skim rubrics and foolishly hope I hit everything adequately.  This review exercise gave me a deep understanding of what the expectations are.  I feel like I can now revise my project in a way that gives me complete confidence in how my project will be graded.

Second, it was great to see all of the great ideas my peers came up with.  I plan on borrowing many great tools and concepts from the projects I reviewed.

I think peer evaluation of learning could by used in programming class as students review unit projects from their classmates and other students in the district.  By doing the same type of evaluation that I just completed for our class project, I hope students will gain a more complete knowledge of the rubric.

I also think assessment for learning could be used in programming class.  I think it would be great if students could assess projects and debug any problems they encounter.  This way, they are not only completing a peer assessment, they are also learning how to debug and troubleshoot!

No comments:

Post a Comment