Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Week 6 - RSS in Education

I have to admit that when I started this assignment I was pretty skeptical.  My initial reaction was: "RSS is still around?  Didn't that die a while ago?  Didn't Google abandon their feed reader over 2 years ago?"  I remember reading my first of many Death of RSS articles back in 2009.  I then looked up the Google Trend graph for RSS:


But then, after creating my Feedly account (which has millions of users and 50,000 paying users) I started to remember why I used RSS feeds back when I was in college.  It was like reuniting with old friends (don't tell Twitter or Instagram, they might get jealous).



Back when I was still in the classroom I had my students use blogs to reflect on their work.  I thought it was important for students to think about the progress they made on their programming projects.  I used Google's Reader to keep up with their blogs.  This time around, I realized Feedly would be perfect for students to keep tabs on their peers' posts.  Taking it one step further, I thought it would be cool if students used their blogs to describe bugs and errors they were experiencing in their code.  In turn, other students can read through posts on Feedly, find something they can help with, and suggest solutions via comments on posts.  Although I won't get to test out my lesson with my own students, I will definitely be passing this idea onto the teachers I work with!


Link to RSS in Education Lesson Plan

Link to Feedly screencast

No comments:

Post a Comment