Sunday, September 13, 2015

Code of Professional Ethics in Educational Technology

Link to my Real Life Scenario

It was easy for me to think of an ethical scenario from my past organization.  The scenario I talked about in my paper is something that still bugs me today.  However, there are many ethical decisions that we have to make as educational technologists.  In studying the Code of Professional Ethics I have realized there are many expectations we should live up to.

I also realized that we have to make ethical decisions more often than I realized.  There are a few ethical dilemmas I can immediately identify because of how obvious they are.  However, after the readings from this week, I realized we have to make ethical decisions almost daily.

My favorite case study from this week was the one about the chairs.  I would have never realized this is an ethical decision.  Having worked in poor school districts, I always assumed the decision of which chairs to buy was always strictly financial.  In fact, I never even realized there was a decision.  I always thought we just had to buy the cheapest.  I thought this way not just for chairs but for everything.  Now I am second guessing my push for Chromebooks.  I thought they would be a great device for going 1:1 because they are inexpensive, but are they the best for the students?  That's something I'll have to think about.

In my paper I reference the Hippocratic Oath.  Here is a picture of a 12th century Byzantine manuscript of the Oath:
File:HippocraticOath.jpg
page 27 of Surgery: An Illustrated History by Ira M. Rutkow, M.D. published in 1993: ISBN 0801660785

No comments:

Post a Comment