Sunday, September 13, 2015

Week 3 - HelloPurr app reflection

This week I procrastinated working on the HelloPurr app until the Saturday before it was due.  I didn't think I would need that much time, it is such an easy app afterall.  In making the app, I knew I wanted to make plenty of changes to challenge myself.  I uploaded full resolution photos I had taken of my wife's rats with my Nikon D90.  I also uploaded a full 3.5 minute song instead of a short sound clip.  Well, it turns out there is a 5MB file limit on AI.  I didn't find this out until after I spent hours searching the internet and trying different things.  My apk file kept crashing during installation on my phone, it was very frustrating.  I finally broke down and emailed Dr. Hsu who quickly responded with the solution.  I shortened and compressed the song using Audacity (as suggested by Dr. Hsu) and I compressed my photos using Adobe Lightroom.

I also added an extra feature: buttons that will take you to an external website.  One button goes to my BSU EdTech Portfolio page and the other goes to the source of my royalty free song: bensound.com.  In order to add an external link, you first have to drag over an activity starter element from the connectivity drawer:
You then have to set the ActivityStarter.DataUri to your website and ActivityStarter.Action to "android.intent.action.VIEW".  Finally, you also need to call ActivityStarter.StartActivity.  All of the ActivityStarter actions should be done when the appropriate button is clicked (see image below).


No comments:

Post a Comment