Thursday, September 24, 2015

Week 5: Digital Divide Presentation






I have really tried to work on my presentation skills recently, so I was excited for the opportunity to practice on this assignment.  I thought the Life after Death by Powerpoint video was hilarious.  The reason it's so funny, though, is because we are all guilty of so many things that Don points out.  In my Digital Divide presentation, I tried really hard to make each slide visually appealing.  I also tried to make the presentation intriguing by displaying limited written information.  Therefore, the audience is forced to listen to the information.

To be honest, I didn't learn a lot of new information about the digital divide.  I've actually studied it quite a bit (you can tell by the variety of resources I use) because of the demographics I've worked with.  However, it was great to be reminded of the many issues of inequality we still face today.
I use this knowledge all the time in my job.  I use the stats and the outlooks as a motivation for teachers to jump into the 21st Century.  If I wanted to spend more time on my presentation, I would talk about my passion: K-8 coding.  None of the research I've read names this as part of the digital divide so I didn't include it either.  However, I personally do believe that the disparity between women and minorities in technology careers is a digital divide.  The solution is to make computer science education a priority in school districts and train more K-8 educators to teach the class.

No comments:

Post a Comment