Saturday, September 19, 2015

Week 5: MoleMash

I spent entirely too much time on this project but I just kept having new ideas and it was fun to make.  I learned two major things: first, I can see why having system specifications set before is needed and second, frequent testing is essential.  After placing the first few blocks, I started getting ideas on how to make the game better.  After many hours of working, I finally had to cut myself off because I kept adding new features.  I am grateful, however, that I tested frequently.  Testing frequently is something I try to instill in the young students in coding classes.  By testing often, I was able to easily debug as I completed the project.  If I waited to test until the end, it would have been difficult to find all the bugs, let alone solve them.

Game Description:
Daleks have invaded and it's your job to destroy them before they exterminate you.  You can choose a difficulty which determines how fast the Daleks regenerate, how much you are penalized for missing, how much you are rewarded for destroying a Dalek, and the length of time it takes them to exterminate you.  If you miss hitting a Dalek, you lose hitpoints.  If you fail to destroy a Dalek after a short time, it will exterminate your hitpoints.  The longer you play, the less time it takes for the Dalek to regenerate.  You keep playing until your 3 lives are gone.  When the game is over, you are shown your score.

No comments:

Post a Comment