Monday, October 19, 2015

Week 9 - Find My Car

This week's app was a fun exercise. I enjoyed thinking abstractly and programming defensively. While working on my undergraduate degree in Information Systems, I worked a lot with databases.  Therefore, this lesson was not a huge challenge in that area.  However, it was great to see how databases could be utilized in AI2. Although the blocks for using a database are simple, keeping track of it could be a nightmare.  There isn't an easy way to visualize or work with the database. Even accessing the database through the MIT portal was still very limited. I guess, after all, AI2 is just a learning platform and really shouldn't be considered for serious apps.

Modifications include:

  • Local database to remember if user wishes to see introduction screen on startup
  • Web database to share information with all users of the app (limited DB provided by MIT for testing purposes only)
  • Share button allows users to tweet, text, email... a message containing pre-written game information
  • Cancel button erases all data in web DB
  • Notifications to help users understand app functions









After looking through the Fusion Tables tutorial Dr. Hsu emailed the class, I decided I wanted to remake this app using what I just learned. Also, after a few comments on the class discussion board, it sounded like the way the time was displayed really bugged people, so I decided to fix that as well. To fix the time and date displays actually took a good chunk of code:

I still did not make a user login system, but using the Google Fusion Table, I was able to store multiple events. The events are stored in a database and all are accessible to app users. If I wanted to keep working on it even more, I would add a login system, make it so only the creator can edit the events, make events that have passed delete themselves, and great groups for people to privately share events.

Version 2:

  • Database is Google Fusion Table
  • Multiple events can be stored
  • Multiple events can be viewed at once
  • New QR:


No comments:

Post a Comment